I‘m happy to announce the second season of Italia DOC, an exciting collaboration between UCL SELCS’s Department of Italian and FilmItalia/Istituto Luce that will bring to London an important series of free screenings of award-winning, contemporary Italian documentaries. All the films will be followed by Q&A sessions with the films’ directors.
All the screenings will take place at the Bloomsbury Studio at 7pm (doors open at 6.30pm).
Entrance is FREE, but booking is mandatory.
– 21 November 2017: Crazy for Football (dir. Volfango De Biasi)
- David di Donatello 2017: Best documentary
- Los Angeles – Italia 2017: Italian Cinema Today
- Festa del Cinema di Roma 2016: Riflessi
Synopsis: A group of patients from Mental Health departments all around Italy, a psychiatrist, Santo Rullo as the team manager, a former 5-man football player, Enrico Zanchini as the coach and a world boxing champion, Vincenzo Cantatore, as the trainer. These are the protagonists of Crazy for Football, the documentary by Volfango De Biasi about the first Italian national ‘futsal’ team to compete in the world championships for psychiatric patients in Osaka. A film dedicated to football as a therapy and salvation.
– 12 December 2017: Surbiles (dir. Giovanni Columbu)
- Annecy Cinema Italien 2017: Prima
- Locarno Festival 2017: Signs of Life
Synopsis: The surbiles are women apparently like all the others but who abandon their physical body between sunset and dawn either in their sleep or by means of drugs. They enter houses where children live and suck their blood. In the past, these women were blamed in the villages of Central Sardinia for the sudden and inexplicable death of many children. Some surbiles appear as benevolent figures who protect children from evil ones and fierce battles take place between the immaterial bodies of the two species of surbiles. This film, emerging from an anthropological research, reconstructs and recounts a few of these stories.
– 16 January 2018: Il monte delle formiche (dir. Riccardo Palladino)
- Annecy Cinema Italien 2017: Competition
- Locarno Festival 2017: Concorso Cineasti del Presente
Synopsis: For centuries, every summer on September 8th, swarms of winged ants travel to the “Mount of Ants” in Italy, where they mate in flight: the impregnated female ones create new colonies while the male ants die on the ground, at the foot of the sanctuary built on the top of this mountain and dedicated to “Our Lady of The Ants”. Tourists, curious and faithful come here to witness this event. This singular phenomenon is the starting-point of the film’s reflection about the nature of ant and man, who can see himself mirrored in the little insects.
– 20 February 2018: L’ultima spiaggia (dir. Thanos Anastopoulos and Davide Del Degan)
- Hot Docs 2017: World Showcase
- Athens International Film Festival 2016: Stranger Than Fiction
- Festival de Cannes 2016: Séances Spéciales
- Festival du Film Italien de Villerupt 2016: Compétition
- Haifa International Film Festival 2016: Golden Anchor Competition
- Hellenic Film Academy Awards 2017: Best documentary
Synopsis: A popular beach in Trieste, North-East of Italy, where a wall still separates men from women. A year spent thinking about frontiers, identities and different generations. A tragicomic look on human nature.
The Q&As will be conducted by Dr Cristina Massaccesi (UCL SELCS – Italian).
With the coordination of Infallible London and with thanks to Pullman Hotels.
For information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope to see you there!